Monday, October 23, 2006

Na-Ne-Na-Ne-Boo-Boo

I can positively say that Daylight Savings Time was not God's idea.  The same goes for alarm clocks. As a matter of fact, no, I do not have a chapter and verse reference on that, but I have deduced it based on basic human physiology.  There is something very beautiful about waking up with the sun (or your friendly neighborhood rooster), and no alarm clock.  Our internal clocks are naturally set to work that way. It is only our artificial lighting and super-full schedules that have gotten it out-of-whack. Studies have shown that folks who live this way are healthier, anyway.




Assuming you went to bed at a decent hour, it is the most refreshing feeling to slooowwwwly wake up to the sun streaming in your bedroom window. When I wake up this way, I always feel happy about beginning the day. Unless of course, I wake up this way, and I am running late. Even stay-at-home folks have an agenda, and some manner of schedule, you know.




Here's the rub: there is something downright wrong about being told (by the clock) that you are "late" through no fault of your own, with no extenuating circumstance like illness or a newborn to cause it. It is frustrating to have my schedule so violated without my consent. Suddenly, I am going to bed at the same time I always have, and waking up at the same time, but I am arbitrarily and automatically behind schedule. I wake up feeling like a sluggard for a few weeks every spring because of this brilliant idea called Daylight Savings Time.





It just isn't right, I tell you.




Nor is it right to wake up for a few weeks each autumn feeling extra righteous through no effort on my part. (I'm an equal opportunity complainer.) We are self-employed, so it doesn't greatly affect our work life, just life at home. I am positive that the genius who came up with this plan was not the parent of a toddler or infant. Either that or they were trying to play a cruel joke on their grown children with toddlers and infants. I mean, how exactly does one explain to a toddler or infant that they are supposed to sleep an hour later in the fall? "Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities, all is vanity" Ecclesiastes 1:2.




I don't think folks should gripe about the government if they don't vote, nor fuss about the mess if they don't pitch in. Therefore I am prepared to act on my criticism. I will boycott Daylight Savings Time. I'm just not going to play. That'll show 'em.




Now, if I could just get the rest of the folks at church to join in...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before writing your comment, be sure to read the Fine Print!