Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Childbirth Prayer

prayer hands

As I was thinking over what I wanted to share about the twins' birth story, I realized that I wanted to back up a bit and share this prayer that a close girlfriend gave me a few days before the girls were born. This prayer plays a part in the story, and I didn't want the birth story post to be too long.

My girlfriend found this through what the world would consider a lucky chance encounter, but I believe she was led to it by our Father. I'll always appreciate her scribbling it down on a borrowed scrap of paper and remembering to pass it to me. Thanks Lillian.

On the Approach of Childbirth

Before she labored, she was delivered;
Before her pangs came, she bare a son!
Isaiah 66:7


Fear not, worm of Jacob,
O people of Israel,
For I will help you.
Isaiah 41:14

The hard, painful hour of delivery draws near,
And in the midst of the pains and fears
That course through me
This fervent prayer rises from the depths of my soul--
May it ascend to you, Eternal Parent!
With every pain, with every pang that seizes me,
My words die on my lips.

Only your name, Yahweh, remains alive on them
They utter this cry alone: Yahweh, my Elohim!
You who are my shield and my protector,
My comfort and my rescue,
The one who dampens my fears and my fright,
The one who embraces me in hope,
The one who is my strength--
Oh, as I raise my tearful eyes up to you, Parent of All,
May it draw your compassion down to me.

Let your mercy shelter me,
So these birth pangs do not overtake me,
So I am able to bear them with courage and strength.
Oh, that your parental grace
Might guide me safely and securely
Across this awesome threshold.
All-Compassionate One, shorten my suffering.
Let me soon achieve the joyous goal of this labor--
Let me soon enjoy a healthy, strong baby.
Yahweh, do not now recall
All my sins and missteps in life!
Forgive me and pardon me now
For all my failings before you.

In your compassion and mercy, may it be your will
That I give life to a precious new being.
Preserve my life, and be with me,
For all my hope and trust rests in you. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. I love the prayer as well. I'm going to print it out and save it for my daughters, to put in their hope chests. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Blessings ~
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the beautiful prayer. I'll have to save it for reference come next April :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. She read that prayer to me over the phone, I'll have to remember to pass it on to my Midwifery coach, she'd really appreciate it.

    praying for you,
    shalom,
    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely lovely and powerful. Thank you for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for this beautiful, touching prayer. i read it through, and tears sprang my eyes. i am due anytime this month until the 1st wk of next month.

    thank you.. i feel so blessed...

    ReplyDelete

Before writing your comment, be sure to read the Fine Print!